Wednesday, May 06, 2009

The economy hits home

So, in the great economic times Paul and I are thankful that we have job security. At least that's what I kept saying. I now however have learned that for me this is not the case. I have found out that Walgreens is cutting the technician work force in half. So everyone has to take these 'assesments' and then will be graded and then it will be determined where your skills are best utilized...if you get to keep your job. I have 8 years in and am pretty well liked so if that weighs in I might have hope. On the other hand I am more expensive so if it's purely money....bye-bye. I don't have all of the info yet but have to go attend a meeting. I hope my panic is short lived and I understand we're supposed to know by the end of June. They are also offering severance packages so hopefully that will alleviate some of the numbers.
My lesson I have learned here is that nothing is certain! Even in the booming pharmaceutical industry!!!

I wish I were in a better financial situation to just take the severance and stay home with the kids. If that were the case though, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

No comments: