Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Symetrical Pancakes and waterboarding

Why is it when you're (at least me) not sure what to make for dinner, breakfast is best?? We had lots of choices and none of them appealing to the masses when "ding" the light bulb goes off...."How about pancakes?" The Roar is deafening and everyone suddenly is excited about eating!!! Why does the prospect of all the dishes etc not seem so bad as it does on a lazy Saturday or Sunday??? Hmmmm.....any theories???

Mary has been battling her sinuses since Sunday of this week. She has been on antibiotics (for an infected bug bite on the bottom of her foot...another story I think) and in checking with her pediatrician, she can use the same one for her sinuses. She woke up this morning with a "frog" in her throat and while it's totally cute and in no way detracts from her talking, I knew the antibiotics aren't working so well. Using previous bouts of sinusitis as my cue....I knew what must be done......WATER TORTURE!!! When I first tried this (about a year ago) she was quite agreeable and it worked wonders....using a sinus rinse. I put her on the edge of the sink and have her tip her head and squirt a solution (in a specially designed bottle) up her nose....you'd be amazed at the crud that comes out. However, the 2 times (tonite included) since she really has screamed and fought. As you could imagine, when you throw your head back in protest, the solution will not run right out your other nostril as planned. Instead you'll choke and gag....hence the deterrent. Well, when she got this last infection, I tried to rinse her out right away...but alas, she knew and well, I thought we'd give the antibiotics a few days. At dinner, we were talking about rinsing her nose since it was yucky and nasty. She seemed fed up with it as much as I so I convinced her to let me 'help' her squeeze the bottle. My thought is if she was willing to be in control...she wouldn't mind as much. I worked for about 2 squeezes then she decided to squeeze before it was lined up with her nostril and discovered how fun it was to squeeze the bottle and play. Not so amusing. So then Dad being the everloving help, held her arms and head (as best as he could) while I proceeded to drown her. (and thanks to Dad for the 'Water boarding' comment) We all were amazed though at the amount of green gook that came out of her nose. And don't worry, She's happily playing in the bath as we speak!!

1 comment:

KAT said...

That does sound like torture.