Monday, June 14, 2010

Dinner, Costco style

Here's a recipe that I improvised and got my kids to eat vegetables. I actually do have kids that eat vegetables. Paul and I love stuffed bell peppers. That was one meal I could make and feel "fancy". I made this when Mary was about 2 and it didn't go over very well. Houghton even took to complaining. Then I had a brainstorm. I discovered that it wasn't that they didn't like bell peppers, they just didn't like them stuffed with all the goo. Sooooo, I unstuffed them! GENIUS!

The recipe is simple: brown the ground beef, add diced bell peppers, cooked rice, spaghetti sauce and shredded cheese, stir until cheese is melted (a minute or 2 at most) and wa-lah, dinner that kids will eat (at least mine will). The kids are actually relieved when they ask whats for dinner and this is what they're getting.

I call it "Costco style" since I pretty much get all of my groceries there. (Houghton eats as much/more than the adults!) and we like leftovers so, Costco is a great deal. (I get the ground beef, rice, spaghetti sauce & shredded cheese there) However, the recipe will work with wherever you shop for groceries.

recipe:
I use 2lb ground beef
2-3c of cooked white rice
1 lg jar of spaghetti sauce
4-5 good size green bell peppers diced
~2c shredded cheese

This one is easy to adjust to preferences, add more/less sauce, cheese & bell peppers to taste.

(and it reheats really well too!)

No comments: