Thursday, July 23, 2009

Job Hunt

Whew, I am struggling to figure out how to job hunt. It's amazing, the last time I did this. You could actually "pound the pavement" and find a job. Now, if you haven't submitted your resume online, no-go. It's not that I am totally computer illiterate or anything, but really. You think getting stuck in a customer service phone tree is tough??? Try sending your resume into the abyss. I just don't get it. It's not like I have this totally specific set of job skills what I have... it's a little above entry level. No, I am not demeaning my job or skill set. I really have been good in the past getting jobs. I was just taught to go get it. My mom taught me that there are many people applying for the same job and to make sure your name is at the top of their list. You do that by following up and "being a bug in their ear". That is much harder to do these days when it's all done by email and phone interviews. In my line of work I deal with many of the 'senior set' and most people want to know..."where'd the people go" they want to speak to a live person. I never really understood so much as I do now. Can't I just speak or meet with a person????

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Tell me about it. I must have sent hundreds of emails over the last 3 yrs. here and never hear back. You wonder if it ever got there, etc. Plus, nobody seems to be hiring and I've heard one post can yield about 100 resumes per day. Ay yi yi! I just got rejected y'day after what I thought was a good interview and was devastated so I am not one to say keep your chin up. LOL I can however agree that it sucks. The vocational counselor side of me is supposed to offer somethign better than that though. If you have any questions, I'll probably know what you are "supposed" to do. Good Luck!

Molsmomof3 said...

I know it's not supposed to be funny but The career counselor looking for a new job. Crazy!! I am now hopeful since I sent a follow up email to the phone interview I had on Tues. I am sched. for an "in person" second interview on next Tues. So, it's promising but I am still looking since it's so far, not ideal...I might have to work second shift. So we'll see. It's a good company and It's a "Senior" position so I could have room to move!